GLSurfaceView is a new API class in Android 1.5. GLSurfaceView makes OpenGL ES applications easier to write by:
- Providing the glue code to connect OpenGL ES to the View system.
- Providing the glue code to make OpenGL ES work with the Activity life-cycle.
- Making it easy to choose an appropriate frame buffer pixel format.
- Creating and managing a separate rendering thread to enable smooth animation.
- Providing easy-to-use debugging tools for tracing OpenGL ES API calls and checking for errors.